Doctor Eva takes legal action against Chelsea… sick-note for Jose?

Date: Friday 30th October 2015 at 6:44 am
Written by: | Comments (0)

JOSE Mourinho’s troubles at Chelsea deepened on Thursday when recently-departed first-team doctor Eva Carneiro’s lawyers served notice on Stamford Bridge that she intends to claim for constructive dismissal.

Mail Online reported it is understood that legal papers were served on the club this week and these will trigger an employment tribunal… unless an out-of-court settlement can be agreed before a hearing takes place.

Carneiro’s lawyer served the papers after failing to agree a settlement with Chelsea so far. The three-month period in which a claim must be notified ends on November 8. So the clock is ticking.

And the timing could not be worse for Mourinho with results at an all time low for him at the club – and his eccentric behavious deepening his discomfort. In fact, he could probably do with a sick-note right now from the good doctor!

Carneiro and physio Jon Fearn were rapped by Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho in August’s draw with Swansea when they rushed to treat Eden Hazard when he went to ground, apparently hurt.

Mourinho claimed she was “naive” and by treating his star player on the pitch, they ensured he would then have to leave the field, so reducing Chelsea’s strength when facing a dead-ball.

The doctor and physio Fearn were publicly criticised by manager Jose Mourinho for going on to the pitch to treat Hazard – the player was duly obligad to leave the field temporarily as a result… meaning Chelsea were briefly down to nine men as keeper Thibaut Courtois had already been sent off.

eva caneiro funny

Eva Carneiro

The doctor was dropped from first-team duties on August 8 and has since left the club. Photographs taken as she left the pitch (see above) following treatment appeared to show her arguing with Mourinho.

But Mourinho has since been cleared by the Football Association of using discriminatory language towards Carneiro – but the doctor has criticised the governing body over its investigation.

She said earlier this month: “I was surprised to learn that the FA was allegedly investigating the incident of August 8 via the press. I was at no stage requested by the FA to make a statement.

“I wonder whether this might be the only formal investigation in this country where the evidence of the individuals involved in the incident was not considered relevant.

“Choosing to ignore some of the evidence will surely influence the outcome of the findings.”

THE EVA TIMELINE

This is the Mail Online date-by-date breakdown of Eva Carneiro’s ongoing row with the club – losing a job she loved in the process…

August 8 – With Chelsea struggling late on in their Barclays Premier League opener at home to Swansea, Hazard went to ground and the referee called for treatment, at which point Carneiro and physio Jon Fearn went on to the pitch to treat him.

After the 2-2 draw, Mourinho branded his medical staff ‘impulsive and naive’ as treating Hazard meant Chelsea would be temporarily down to nine men – Thibaut Courtois had already been sent off. ‘Whether you are a kit man, doctor or secretary on the bench you have to understand the game,’ Mourinho said.

August 11 – It emerged that Carneiro’s role at the club was to change with a downgrading of responsibilities, limiting her to the team’s training base as she would no longer attend matches.

August 12 – FIFA’s chief medical officer Jiri Dvorak was among those to denounce Chelsea’s treatment of Carneiro, with the medical community pointing out that she and Fearn had no choice but to respond to the referee’s instruction to come on to the pitch.

August 14 – Mourinho confirmed neither Carneiro nor Fearn would be on the bench for Chelsea’s next match against Manchester City, but said they might return in the future.

September 11 – FIFA said it would draw up a new code of practice for team doctors in the wake of the controversy.

September 22 – After Carneiro parted company with Chelsea, Football Association board member Heather Rabbatts expressed her ‘sadness and anger’ at the Portuguese’s departure from the club.

September 23 – The Football Medical Association stated it would continue to support Carneiro ‘on a professional level’.

September 24 – Premier League Doctors’ Group called for safeguards to be in place for team doctors.

September 30 – The FA confirmed Mourinho would face no action over allegations he made discriminatory comments towards Carneiro during the August 8 confrontation. Women in Football questioned the verdict, while the FA said an ‘independent academic expert in Portuguese linguistics’ had been called upon to analyse footage of the incident.

October 1 – Rabbatts expressed ‘major concerns’ over the FA’s handling of the disciplinary process, with FMA chief executive Eamonn Salmon expressing surprise over the absence of Carneiro as a witness. FA chairman Greg Dyke, in a letter to council members, admitted Mourinho should have apologised amid ‘a failure of his personal judgement and public behaviour’.

October 2 – Carneiro issued a statement insisting she was not requested by the FA to make a statement about Mouinho’s alleged remarks. Also said the FA did not ask her for a statement after she was the victim of sexist abuse at West Ham in March and criticised a lack of support from football authorities.

October 29 – Carneiro’s lawyers serve notice on the club that she intends to seek a claim for constructive dismissal


Your Comment

*